Eye Problems

Community Optician

Whatever your eye problem your first port of call should be an Optometrist. An Optometrist is the best person to assess urgent eye problems, check for eye disorders and treat eye conditions. They have the professional training and necessary equipment to assess most eye problems.

Opticians can also refer patients to Hospital if and when appropriate.

Find a local Optician in your area (once you are linked to the NHS Inform page, select your local Health Board or local Authority to find an Optician near you).

Eye Problems

All eye problems should be directed to your optician. Please note that if you phone the practice with an eye problem you will be advised to contact your opticians first. They have the expertise and specialised equipment to deal with all eye problems in a far more detailed way than the GP can.

All local opticians are able to provide on-the-day telephone triage and appointments if necessary. They have better instruments for looking into eyes, and can refer to specialist services at the eye pavilion if required.

They will see all eye problems including eye trauma, sticky eyes, conjunctivitis, change in vision, floaters, scratches, dry eyes, flashing lights.....everything eye related!

Self-help guide: Eye problems

Find out more about your eye problems, when you can use self-care, and what to do if your condition worsens and you need medical help

Eye problems – self-help guide

If your optician is closed and you can’t wait until it reopens call NHS24 on 111.

If you sustain an eye injury that requires immediate emergency treatment go to your nearest Accident and Emergency.

Find an Optician